Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"How to have a clean house in 15 minutes a day"

Advanced/extension edition
Multiply 15 by 4.
Done!

I found this book in the local bookshop. It has provided a great deal of material to ruminate upon while cleaning the house (feels like at least 60 mins a day, averaged over a month). I didn't buy the book, I thought that perhaps I could work out how to do it myself.

At first this seems like it might be possible, long term. I mean, once you've had a big clean up, your house is spotless, you should be able to keep it clean by just giving it a once over each day, right?
Except that dishes take bluddy 30 - 45 minutes, if you're a greeny and/or don't have a dishwasher. And then there's the recycling, making the stupid bed (get the urge sometimes), hanging out washing takes ages, etc.

Speaking of hanging out washing, let me get this off my chest.

3 good reasons for hanging socks up by their toes.
1. doesn't make marks in tops (admitted, not a really good reason)
2. easier to take down/move: when semi dry, turn tops of pairs together (see 3 good reasons to hang socks up in pairs) and hang over line - no peg needed.
3. I think 1 and 2 summed it up actually.

3 good reasons not to use softener on towels:
1. Environment
2. Hard towels exfoliate better
3. Cost

Today's gripe:
When hanging out several loads of washing: Work from the outside in.
Teatowels in face annoying when doing onerous chores.

DISCLAIMER: This blog is not going to be a "domestic goddess" tip fest. It is, like most common or garden blogs, just a bit of a whinge outlet.

Oh yeah -I wonder if gardening is part of the fifteen minutes or whether that comes as an accompanying volume. Perhaps I should write one? Does it count if you do a whole day of gardening about once every 3 months?
Miss Practical highly recommends separating colours, darks and whites. Within reason. And remember..."don't think that yellow won't run".

No comments:

Labels