Sunday, March 4, 2007

I am the weedinator

I am at war.

I am The Weed Warrior, part of an elite team of rigorously trained, strong yet supple, graceful and deadly killers. My adversary is the Kikuyu, the silent invader. The Kikuyu creeps along under the surface of a well-mulched nature strip, seemingly innocuous yet laying kernels from which its minions spring: hairy, fractal and dangerous, for each sets off in a new direction, insidious as its maker, in its image, searching and taking over. All this happens in the wink of an eye (at least, in between 3 monthly weeding sessions) and before the unsuspecting Protector is aware, the Kikuyu has already won.

Not today! Today's battle ended in victory for the righteous. I took on the terror and lo - it was uprooted. After 2 hours in a bitter and epic struggle, at least 5 square metres of the Bastings Street Nature strip are safe from the running Kikuyu. Tomorrow, I do battle again.

You can run, but you can't hide...

No comments:

Labels